Welcome to the 2017 Patchwork Holiday Tree Sew-Along Page!
The Megs of Urban Sewciety and Meg of Tea & Brie (yes, we really are all named ‘Meg!’) are hosting this free Sew-Along just for you! Our goal is to provide you with inspiration and motivation on this fun and festive Holiday Tree Block! You will be given a timeline and motivation on completing this block and turning it into a table runner if desired. We hope that in the meantime, you are able to connect with a community of sewists on social media who have varying skills and a range of interests.
This Sew-Along is going to be about having fun and enjoying the process in a laid back and supportive environment.
You can find a bundle for the Tree Block HERE
You can find a bundle for the Table Runner HERE
Beginning Thursday, November 30th, we will begin encouraging participants to get ready to sew! Don’t worry, there is no need to start sewing with us on that date. Feel free to join in with us any time during the sew-along! The Sew-along will continue in a leisurely, no-pressure pace until the end of December. We will wrap things up with a fun give-away for Sew-Along Participants! Ho! Ho! Ho!
The following outline gives you a general idea of our Sew-Along timeline. At the beginning of each week, I will post a weekly prompt encouraging your participation. As we move forward, I encourage you to post your images on Social Media using the tags #2017holidaysewalongwiththemegs and #patchworkholidaytreeblock to join in on the community fun. This will also give you an opportunity to browse the tag and see what other participants are working on! Our Sew-Along timeline is as follows:
- 12/10 – 12/14 Cutting your Materials
- 12/15 – 12/21 Piecing your Blocks/Table Runner
- 12/15 – 12/21 Finishing: Basting, Quilting, and Binding
- 12/21 – 12/24 Photo Submissions for Giveaway Eligibility
Rules and Eligibility
This Sew-Along is primarily going to be on Instagram. So, what exactly does that mean? Our running tab of participants will be via Instagram, so you don’t need to sign any forms, pay any fees, or join any lists or groups. If you already have Instagram (IG), you are already ahead of the game! If not, no worries. Head over to this Instagram 101 post to familiarize yourself with the platform so that you can join in on the fun!
There will be some posts during the Sew-Along that are going to be here on the blog, but we will primarily be interacting with one another on IG. It is also important to note that the images of your progress can be posted to other social media sites in order to connect with the community and share progress. We would love to see your images outside of IG, so feel free to comment here or on any blog posts with links to progress you may be showing on your own blog. If you are active on Facebook (FB) and would like to post in my group, you can find it here! There will be a list of places you can post at the bottom of this page if you need some more ideas.
The following are some additional rules for the Sew-Along. Please read the fine print so that you know all the details of the Sew-Along!
- Instagram accounts must be public in order for all members of the Sew-Along to interact with you. We respect the need for privacy, so if your account is private you are still welcome to sew along with us for the Patchwork Holiday Tree Sew-Along! Private accounts may just need to put a little bit more time and energy into making friends during the sew-along.
- The appropriate hashtags need to be used for each post to make sure that we can find you. We want to see what you are working on, so don’t forget!
- It is strongly reccomended that you follow myteaandbrie on Instagram, as well as Urban Sewciety! You may miss out on the full experience otherwise!
- Post the photo to IG and use the following tags and hashtags: @myteaandbrie @urbansewciety #myteaandbrie #urbansewciety#2017holidaysewalongwiththemegs #patchworkholidaytreeblock
- The easiest way to post the correct hashtags is to create a keyboard shortcut.
- This is a very laid back Sew-Along. There is no minimum participation requirement, but I would love to see finished projects!
- Consider posting (1) image a week on Instagram with your progress. Just remember: the more you post, the more exposure you will have, and the more people will find your photos!
- Not in the States? Not to worry. To keep things simple, EVERYONE IS WELCOME!
- The photo of your FINISHED project must include the tags and hashtags above as well as #2017holidaysewalongwiththemegsfinish – so all together your final image will have the following:@myteaandbrie @urbansewciety #myteaandbrie #urbansewciety#2017holidaysewalongwiththemegs #patchworkholidaytreeblock #2017holidaysewalongwiththemegsfinish
Find us on the Web
Meg Fahrenbach of Tea & Brie can be found here on her website as well as on Instagram. She also has a Facebook Fan Page and a newly formed Facebook Group where she hopes members of the community will begin to interact, share photos of Tea & Brie patterns (in-progress and finished), as well as ask questions and troubleshoot. Her newly opened Pattern Shop is a great place to look for your next quilt pattern. Meg has a true passion for sewing and quilting and absolutely wants to share her enthusiasm with you! The positive energy is contagious!
There is also a New Jersey Sews Facebook Group that is a great place to connect to local sewists and stay on top of sewing and quilting events in the area!
Thanks so much for joining, I hope you have a wonderful time Sewing Along with us!