Welcome to the 2017 Polaroid Sew-Along Page!
I am hosting this free Sew-Along sponsored by Megan and Meg of Urban Sewciety. My goal is to provide you with all of the information, guidance, and support that you need to create fun and whimsical Polaroid Blocks that you will be able to use in a variety of projects! You will learn how to piece the Polaroid blocks themselves, different techniques for setting them into larger blocks, and be inspired to create a finished project with them that you will love. We are hoping that in the meantime, you are able to connect with a community of sewists on social media who have varying skills and a range of interests.
Beginning Thursday, April 27th, I will begin rolling out tutorials and instructional posts to get you started on your Polaroid journey! The Sew-along will continue in a leisurely, no-pressure pace until mid-June. The month of May will be the busiest month of the Sew-Along with Tutorials, Inspiration Posts, Project Roundup Posts, and Prizes each week!
The following outline gives you a general idea of our Sew-Along timeline and lists the important dates that you need to know to get the most out of your participation. As we move forward, all dates will become clickable so you will be able to go straight to each post! Our Sew-Along is as follows:
- 5/3 – Guide: Color Theory Part 2 – The Color Wheel and Color Relationships
- 5/4 – Tutorial 3 – How do I post to IG to become eligible for prizes?
- 5/8 – Tutorial 4 – How do I change the Size of my Blocks?
- 5/10 – Shop Spotlight: Urban Sewciety. In-store Sew-Along events announced.
- 5/11 – Guide: Color Theory – Mixing and Matching colors. Fabric choices for Shadows and Sashing
- 5/11 – Tutorial 5 – How do I Make a Drop Shadow?
- 5/12 – Weekly Recap. IG Roundup
- 5/13 – PRIZE 1 AWARDED
- 5/16 – Tutorial 6 – How do I make a Tilted Block?
- 5/18 – Bonus Post: More Polaroid Sewing Around the Web
- 5/19 – Weekly Recap. IG Roundup
- 5/20 – PRIZE 2 AWARDED
- 5/24 – Layout and Inspiration
- 5/26 – Weekly Recap. IG Roundup
- 5/27 – PRIZE 3 AWARDED
- 5/29-6/4 – Wrap Up/Sew it Up: Time to Finish up those projects
- 6/5 – Wrap it Up/Sew it
- 6/9 – Finished Project Showcase begins
- 6/15 – All Photos of Completed Projects are due
- 6/16 – Finished Project Showcase Final Day
- 6/17 – GRAND PRIZE WINNER ANNOUNCED
Rules and Eligibility
This Sew-Along is primarily going to be on Instagram. So, what exactly does that mean? We are going to be keeping our running tab of participants on Instagram, so you don’t need to sign any forms or join any lists or groups. If you already have Instagram (IG), you are already ahead of the game! If not, no worries. We will be providing you with an Instagram 101 post before any images are due, so you will we all up to speed and eligible for prizes.
There will be some events during the Sew-Along that are going to be here on the blog, and even in-store at Urban Sewciety, but in order to be eligible for any prizes, you will need to post your progress on IG. It is also important to note that the images of your progress can be posted to other social media sites in order to connect with the community and share progress. We would love to see your images outside of IG, so feel free to comment here or on any blog posts with links to progress you may be showing on your own blog. If you are active on FB and would like to post in our groups, go ahead! There will be a list of places you can post at the bottom of this page if you need some more ideas. Just be aware that if you are interested in being eligible for prizes, only IG posts will be counted.
The following are some additional rules for the Sew-Along. Please read the fine print so that you know what you need to do in order to be eligible for prizes!
- Instagram accounts *must* be public. I understand the need for privacy, but if we can’t see your images, we can’t count them towards as progress photos. Make sure that you do not have your account set on private.
- The appropriate hashtags need to be used for each post to make sure that we can find you. We can’t track your eligibility otherwise!
- You must be following both @myteaandbrie and @urbansewciety on IG.
- Post the photo to IG and use the following tags and hashtags: @myteaandbrie @urbansewciety #polaroidsewalong2017 #urbansewciety #myteaandbrie
- The easiest way to post the correct hashtags is to create a keyboard shortcut. I will walk you through how to do this on 5/4.
- Participants must post a minimum of (2) In-Progress Photos each week for the duration of the sew-along to be eligible for prizes.
- To be counted, each photo must be posted on a new day. So if you post a progress shot on Monday, your next progress photo must be in a different day that week.
- We will be looking for progress photos posted from:
- 5/7-5/12 (Week 1 Prize)
- 5/14-5/19 (Week 2 Prize)
- 5/21-5/27 (Week 3 Prize)
- 5/28-6/15 (Finishing Weeks)
- Progress photos are welcome at any time, but to be eligible for the Grand Prize, your finished product must be posted no later than 6/15
- Not in the States? Not to worry. To keep things simple, we’ll count eligibility based on your timezone.
- Prizes 1-3 will be awarded to participants who post progress photos during the time table listed above. Week 1 Prize will be awarded to a randomly selected participant who posted a minimum of (2) progress photos that week. Week 2 Prize will be awarded to a randomly selected participant who posted a minimum of (2) images in Week 1 and (2) images in Week 2. Week 3 Prize will be awarded to a randomly selected participant who posted Week 2’s requirement plus a minimum of (2) photos for week 3.
- The Grand Prize will be awarded randomly to a participant who posted their minimum of (6) progress images and minimum (1) finished project image on time. Each eligible participant will earn (1) entry into the pool for following the requirements listed. There will be opportunities for participants to earn extra entries during the Sew-Along (to-be-announced).
- The photo of your FINISHED project must include the tags and hashtags above as well as #polaroidsewalong2017finish – so all together your final image will have the following: @myteaandbrie @urbansewciety #polaroidsewalong2017 #urbansewciety #myteaandbrie #polaroidsewalong2017finish
Find us on the Web
Meg Fahrenbach of Tea & Brie can be found here on her website as well as on Instagram. She also has a Facebook Fan Page and a newly formed Facebook Group where she hopes members of the community will begin to interact, share photos of Tea & Brie patterns (in-progress and finished), as well as ask questions and troubleshoot. Her newly opened Pattern Shop is a great place to look for your next quilt pattern. Meg has a true passion for sewing and quilting and absolutely wants to share her enthusiasm with you! The positive energy is contagious!
Meg and Megan are the co-owners of Urban Sewciety in Westfield, NJ. Their space is one part shop and one part sewing studio. They have a wonderful selection of tools and fabric, as well as a wide range of classes that are constantly being added and updated. They have an online shop associated with their website, and can also be found on Instagram. Their Facebook Page is regularly updated.
There is also a New Jersey Sews Facebook Group that is a great place to connect to local sewists and stay on top of sewing and quilting events in the area!
Thanks so much for joining, I hope you have a wonderful time Sewing Along with us!