My gram passed away two short days before my sweet little Lily was born. It was tough for me, as I didn’t know that she was deteriorating, and came as a bit of a surprise. It still is tough, I don’t really feel like I’ve had the opportunity to say goodbye.
She was an amazing woman. She was an excellent cook, and a spectacular baker. She had a green thumb, and had the most beautiful gardens and house plants. She was a knitter, a crocheter, a sewer. She was the epitome of “crafter”. I talked a little bit more about my Gram in this post, and about her quilting. To summarize, she was awesome.
When Lily was born I knew right away that I wanted to make her a quilt that she could use as a tummy mat and a playmat, but I didn’t really have the time to make something too elaborate. I was browsing online and found this little tutorial over at Cluck Cluck Sew. I made a few minor adjustments. I didn’t want to make the flower, so I added an extra row or two of rectangles to make it a little wider. I also had one strip leftover and used it to piece the back.
I bought two Sophie charm packs by Chez Moi for Moda from this shop. The back is Ice Frappe Kona Cotton Solid by Robert Kaufman, and I used Ruby Sunday which is a part of the Ruby Collection by Bonnie & Camille for Moda Fabrics.
Since I was making the quilt for her for Christmas, I wanted it to have a little bit of a holiday feel, but I still wanted it to be a quilt that she could use into her toddler years. I did a variation of “stitching in the ditch” to quilt it… and as you can see on the back below, I simply followed the lines of the rectangles and gave about a 1/4″ on each side of the seam. It’s a pretty solid quilt and is pretty heavily quilted for its size, but since I knew that it would be used as a mat in the beginning, that was something that I was going for.
This is the second quilt that I’ve made. I am pretty proud of it, even though the corners don’t line up in a lot of places, the quilting is a little wonky, and I was trying to line the back strip up with one of the front strips so that the quilting would line up too – that obviously didn’t work out. But it’s ok. I made it with love and based on the image below, I think she is just fine with how it turned out too!
Sign Me Up!
Subscribe today to get the latest updates on course offerings, new patterns, coupon codes, and free products!